Hiring a Head Coach/Program Director
Located in the beautiful Litchfield Hills of Connecticut, United States, the Litchfield Hills Rowing Club is looking for a full time, year round position with annual salary of $35,000 and a compensation package including a furnished apartment or housing stipend and use of club vehicle. Download a PDF or review the full job description below.
Those interested should email LHRC Chairman, Pete Donohue (email@example.com) immediately with a cover letter and resume. The projected start date for this position is February 4, 2019. Review of applicants will begin Monday, August 13, 2018.
Seasons and Events
- Spring Middle School (MS) and High School (HS)
- Summer College/Competitive
- Summer Recreational
- Summer Learn to Row
- Fall MS and HS
- Winter MS and HS
- Spring Competitive and Recreational
- Summer Competitive and Recreational
- Summer Learn to Row
- Fall Competitive and Recreational
2018-19 Regattas/Team Events:
- Bantam Lake Throwdown Regatta (Litchfield, CT) – Sunday, May 20
- Mercer Lake/ISA Sculling Championships (West Windsor, NJ) – April 21-22
- Cooper Cup (Camden, NJ) – Sunday, April 29
- USRowing Northeast Youth Championships (Worcester, MA) – May 19-20
- Derby Sweeps and Sculls (Shelton, CT) – June 16
- USRowing Northeast/Mid-Atlantic Masters Championships (Lowell, MA) - Saturday, July 7
- USRowing Club National Championships (Camden, NJ) – July 11-15
- Head of the Riverfront (Hartford, CT) – Sunday, September 30
- Head of the Charles (Boston, MA) – October 20-21
- Head of the Fish (Saratoga Springs, NY) – October 27-28
- Connecticut Indoor Rowing Championship (Easton, CT) – Sunday, January 27, 2019
- St. Valentine's Day Massacre (Pelham, NY) – Sunday, February 10, 2019
- C.R.A.S.H.-B. Sprints (Boston, MA) – Sunday, February 24, 2019
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Practices and Regattas:
- Organize and lead on-water practices. This includes:
- Setting training plans.
- Assuring equipment is available and operational.
- Assigning coaches, coxes, equipment and lineups.
- Providing direct coaching and technical feedback both on and off the water with a shared emphasis on individual and overall boat improvement.
- Coordinating practice schedules and lake traffic pattern with coaches from Taft School and Forman School.
- Video review to illustrate technical improvements
- Stretching, weights and other off-water exercises for rower's fitness, strength and flexibility improvement.
- Coordinate regatta planning. This includes:
- Defining entries and lineups.
- Ensuring registration by established deadlines.
- Arranging boat usage and transport.
- Communicating with other coaches and LHRC Parent Association to fully prepare for regatta success.
- Coordinate and supervise equipment transport arrangements with regard to loading/unloading of boats, oars, slings, etc.
- Submitting entries on time, including age handicaps and other necessary information to remain compliant to regatta criteria.
Facilities & Equipment
- Maintain a high level of care for ALL club facilities and equipment (boats, oars, trailer, boathouse, ergs, indoor facility).
- Coordinate a systematic maintenance plan with masters and juniors.
- Communicate a prioritization list of any upgrades or replacements to the Board of Directors at monthly meetings.
- Supervise and develop Assistant Coach(es)
- Engage in collaborative communication and plan duties/responsibilities with assistant coach(es).
- Manage coaching staff schedules to ensure adequate supervision at practices, regattas and other team events.
- Foster a healthy, safe team environment that inspires teamwork, respect, commitment, and a love of rowing in an inclusive, and competitive environment.
- Be a role model that embodies the goals and values of our team, and provides positive leadership.
- Lead a program that consistently attracts and retains athletes.
- Work with LHRC Board to define and implement programming, regattas, equipment purchase/sale, and fundraising.
- Be available to rowers, parents, and board members to answer questions and provide guidance, expertise, and feedback in a professional, timely manner.
- Ensure all applicable LHRC Policies, Safety Rules, and the Code of Conduct are followed by all team members.
- In addition to practices, attendance at monthly Board meetings, seasonal parent meetings, and social events is required.
- Assist the Board in maintaining organizational relationships on behalf of LHRC.
- Develop a plan of outreach to local schools for recruitment.
- Meet periodically with local Athletic Directors to evangelize on the sport of rowing and LHRC's programming.
- Organize events focused on recruitment.
- Organize and attend local community events to grow awareness and increase participation in Learn to Row, masters and juniors rowing programs
Requirements and Qualifications
Experience & Education
- A bachelor's degree is preferred.
- Candidates must satisfactorily complete a criminal background check.
- Four years of collegiate rowing with minimum 2-3 years of club coaching.
- Any licenses associated with water sports (i.e. Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection Certificate of Personal Watercraft Operation, Heartsaver CPR AED Certification) are required.
- Level I USRowing Coaching Certification is required.
- Level II and/or III USRowing Coaching Certification are preferred.
- Solid understanding of USRowing rules.
- Experience and ability to teach both sculling and sweep rowing, and coxswain skills.
- Ability to develop rowing technique and athletic conditioning in athletes of varying ages, experience, and skills.
- Experience developing and executing endurance and strength training programs and experience with general training principles, nutrition, and exercise physiology.
- Thorough knowledge of equipment maintenance, rigging adjustments, and trailer loading.
- Ability to recognize repairs required to equipment, and knowledge of where to get those repairs performed. Ideally, the candidate would be able to personally perform minor repairs.
- Motor boat operation skills sufficient to operate in close quarters with fragile rowing shells, transfer rowers between launch and rowing shell, and execute rescue maneuvers if necessary.
- Ideally comfortable driving truck with boat trailer to regattas.
Those interested should email LHRC Chairman, Pete Donohue (firstname.lastname@example.org) immediately with a cover letter and resume.